One difference between poetry and lyrics is that lyrics sort of fade into the background. They fade on the page and live on the stage when set to music.
— Stephen Sondheim
I know a lot of you who read are music aficionados, so in an attempt to encourage commenting, I borrowed this from Low Resolution, one of my favorite, catch-all pop culture blogs. Here’s the directions:
1. Put your music player on shuffle.
2. Post the first line of each of the first 25 songs, no matter how embarassing.
3. Strikethrough an entry once someone in the comments guesses both the artist and the song correctly.
4. For those who are guessing, googling or otherwise searching for the lyrics is CHEATING (we use the honor system around here).
5. If you like the game, feel free to post your own.
I’ve got some real fluff on my iPod currently, so I hope I don’t get wildly embarassed doing this. Let’s roll the dice, shall we?
1. I will follow [ok, that sucked]
2. This is what you do
3. Steve walks warily down the street
4. Naked lovers feel the blood beneath their veins
5. Cuantas veces he pensada ya [oooh, I forgot I had Spanish music on there!]
What’s the matter, Mary Jane, you had a hard day Mary Jane, Alanis Morrisette
7. No, I would not sleep in this bed of lies
8. Somewhere deep inside
9. I think it’s time we give it up
In my mind I’m goin’ to Carolina Carolina In My Mind, James Taylor
11. How dare you say that my behavior is unacceptable
12. Well, I’m a steamroller, baby Steamroller, James Taylor
She says it’s cold outside and she hands me a raincoat 3AM, Matchbox Twenty
14. I can’t fight this feeling any longer I Can’t Fight This Feeling, REO Speedwagon
15. Seven-thirty-seven comin’ out of the sky Travelin’ Band, John Fogerty/Creedence Clearwater Revival
16. I hear a wind [I’m going to give credit for the original artist on this one, because none of you would ever guess what version is on my iPod]
17. I don’t know what, what I’m gonna do
18. So tired of broken hearts Cherish, Madonna
19. I laid a red rose
20. He left me cryin’ late one Sunday night outside of Boulder Stand Beside Me, JoDee Messina
21. You take Sally and I’ll take Sue
22. We met as soul mates
23. I’m laying it on the line to show you
24. I heard the door slam and I just couldn’t tell
25. One man come in the name of love Pride (In the Name of Love), U2
Ok, that wasn’t too bad at all. Have at it – some of them are super easy and there’s at least one I bet no one will get without cheating – and have fun!