There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year’s course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word “happy” would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
— Carl Jung
Happy new year! As predicted last week, I spent the evening drinking champagne (mostly from a glass, though I got one very satisfactory swig from the bottle) and watching movies (Reign Over Me – very good). I would have liked to be out, but somehow, when you don’t make the effort to make plans, they tend not to materialize on their own, so . . .
My trip to Buffalo was very nice, minus the sad parts about my grandpa from my last post. I got to see some cousins I hadn’t seen in a while and hang out in a (very) small-town bar on a Friday night, which was definitely an experience. It’s not a stereotype for nothin’. Those of you who know me from the interwebs will understand who I’m talking about when I say that I got to meet Suby, SubyJr, Skipper, and ThinIdentity for lunch on Saturday – what a great time that was! Such funny, smart, beautiful women.
It’s back to work tomorrow; at least it’s a three-day week to ease back into it. I don’t think I could handle a full five-day week just yet. It’s been nice to relax and travel to visit family. The holidays were good to us; I’ve got no complaints, really.
Here’s this week’s list:
2. a 28-mile canoe trip [I’m not gonna lie – I ended up across the river from the rest of the group at the end of the weekend because I lost my paddle in the last mile or so, but a Good Samaritan saw me and drove me back to the other side]
3. creme brulee
4. people who know that money is not a prerequisite for happiness
5. going down swinging
6. two-hour lunches
7. floor seats at a great concert
8. curtain calls
9. breakfast foods: eggs, bacon, toast, hash browns, grits, pancakes, and orange juice
10. doing all your laundry and housework on December 31 so you start the new year with everything clean and fresh
I hope your new year is getting off to a great start!