“I’m very brave generally,” he went on in a low voice: “only today I happen to have a headache.”
— Tweedledum, from Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll
This week’s list of things I’m happy about/grateful for:
1. the moment you realize your headache is gone – I’ve been battling daily migraines since Sunday, when I decided to really give up caffeine, like I am supposed to. Last night, I went to bed at 7:30, nearly incapacitated by the pain. I woke up at nearly 3 in the morning to pee, and I was so, so relieved to be pain-free. It was like a huge weight had been lifted.
2. Girl Scout Cookies! Samoas have always been my favorite, but this year I’ve found them much too sweet. But Tagalongs and Thin Mints have saved the day.
3. Morning workouts – it’s so simple, but on the days I manage to get up and run or go to the gym before work, I feel great all day knowing that it’s already out of the way, and I get so excited when I remember during the day that I don’t have to go to the gym after work!
Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world’s perfect food.
— Michael Levine, nutrition researcher, quoted in The Emperors of Chocolate: Inside the Secret World of Hershey and Mars
1. Pink and orange M&Ms for wedding favors! (But not personalized, because, Jesus Christ, have you seen how much those things cost?)
2. the drop in temperature today – it was 66 degrees when I left my office at 5:30 – yay, Fall!
3. Carcassonne, our new favorite board game
Avoid any diet that discourages the use of hot fudge.
— Don Kardong
Here’s what I’m happy about/grateful for this week:
1. losing 2.4 pounds this week at weigh in
2. finally getting my own curling shoes and broom, and an adorable curling stone keychain
3. David and I opened a joint bank account (!)
What about you?
I reckon being ill is one of the great pleasures of life, provided one is not too ill and is not obliged to work til one is better.
— from The Way of All Flesh, by Samuel Butler
1. sick days that let you catch up on TiVo
2. planting things
3. anniversaries – today is one, for me
There is a muscular energy in sunlight corresponding to the spiritual energy of wind.
— Annie Dillard
1. it’s a glorious day and I didn’t have to work (I did have to go to the Social Security office, however, but I was only there for an hour)
2. I saw a caterpillar for the first time in years on my walk this morning – love them
3. I ran the second half of my walk (a 5k) today, despite doctor’s/physical therapist’s orders because it was nearly all downhill and I felt like it for once
4. the new purple sunglasses I got Easter weekend
5. flavored fizzy water
6. a much-needed pedicure